The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) is an independent, non-partisan think tank whose research and analysis influence policy makers to innovate. Our global network of multidisciplinary researchers and strategic partnerships provide policy solutions for the digital era.
CIGI has a unique opening for a Senior Program Manager. Reporting to the President, and as a member of the Senior Management Team, the Senior Program Manager plays a critical role in the planning and effective execution of CIGI’s research initiatives by internally managing the implementation and administration of projects and externally managing the relationships and interactions with key partners that CIGI receives funding from for the research initiatives. This position is responsible coordinating the cross-functional team supporting the research initiatives and direct management several research team members.
If you are a leader in program management who is looking to be inspired by working with amazing colleagues and global experts on important topics facing the world today, we want to talk to you about this position.
This position is a based at CIGI’s Waterloo office where employees have a hybrid work environment.
- Manage the allocation of resources – in terms of both dollars and distribution of work among team members – across the various projects led by the Managing Directors of and the President.
- Prepare and track project charters and budgets and recommend solutions to address issues.
- Work closely with the Manager of Government Affairs and Partnerships to identify potential funding opportunities aligned with CIGI’s research themes.
- Prepare funding proposals and applications including the associated budgets and deliverables.
- Project manage specific research initiatives as required.
- Establish strong working relationships with external funding agencies and partners.
- Work closely with the CFO and Director of Operations to ensure CIGI compliance with funders financial policies, regulations and reporting requirements.
- Liaise with the Finance Department on research budgets and financial matters, including the review and analysis of monthly financial reports and provide research and expense projections for planning purposes.
- Manage and drive the continual improvement of CIGI processes, including the project monitoring system used to track deliverables of internal and external project contributors.
- Manage external research contracts and fellowship agreements, as negotiated by the Managing Directors and the President, ensuring all deliverables are met in a timely manner.
- Collaborate closely with colleagues across all CIGI’s departments, including Public Affairs, Events, Government Affairs to identify new outreach initiatives, formats, and venues to showcase CIGI’s research and policy output.
- Mentor members of the team growing project and process management capabilities.
- Work with internal stakeholders to establish operational best practices and implement across research programs.
- Other duties as may be assigned by the President.
KNOWLEDGE AND SKILLS REQUIRED
- Demonstrated management and leadership skills with the ability to impact, influence and engage team members.
- 7- 10 years of project management experience in research, academia or the not-for-profit sector.
- A project management designation and / or a degree in political science, economics, history, business or related field.
- Excellent communication skills and tenacity, with the ability to affect change in cross-functional areas without direct management accountability.
- Task and action oriented, focused on getting the job done, with the ability to handle multiple priorities.
- Demonstrated experience in developing successful funding proposals and preparing required reports and assessments.
- Ability to develop and execute a strategic approach to building relationships and securing support both internally and externally.
- Superior analytical and organizational skills with high attention to detail.
- Ability to prepare and to analyze financial documents, including project spreadsheets and budgets.
- Skill in organizing resources and establishing priorities.
- Ability to foster a cooperative work environment.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint and Outlook).
- Knowledge of global politics and world affairs are considered an asset, including an understanding of technology and international governance.
- Proficiency in a second language considered an asset.
Interested applicants are invited to send a cover letter and resume along with salary expectations to [email protected] by February 3, 2023. We appreciate all candidates’ applications but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CIGI is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment. Our goal is to attract and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We are committed to providing accommodation to applicants throughout the recruitment and hiring process.