The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) is a global think tank based in Waterloo, Ontario. Founded in 2001, CIGI conducts policy research on international governance issues, including the global economy, global security and politics, and international law. A dynamic and innovative organization of leading researchers, policy practitioners and other professionals, CIGI has a unique opening for an Accounting Specialist.
Based at the CIGI Campus in Waterloo, Ontario, the Accounting Specialist is responsible for several accounting functions within the Finance Department. This role reports to the Controller.
Duties and Responsibilities:
Full Cycle Accounts Payable
- Process Accounts Payable for CIGI as well as the shared CIGI Campus, review and ensure correct approvals of expenditures, audit adherence to internal policies, ensure consistent coding to general ledger accounts and departments and proper HST recording
- Generate bi-weekly disbursements via cheque, EFT, online banking or wires with consideration given to multi-currency, payee requirements and cost efficiency of transactions.
- Provide a thorough review of high-volume expense claims for accuracy and policy compliance and seek resolution to discrepancies or insufficient documentation.
- Respond and follow up to vendor inquiries and vendor statements.
- Process bi-weekly salary payroll
- Provide administration of group benefit programs
- Prepare annual payroll reconciliations, T4, and T4As
- Respond and follow up to employee inquiries.
- Provide back up support to the accounting team including accounts receivable invoicing and bank reconciliations.
- Maintain accuracy of general ledger accounts for deposits and prepaids.
- Participate in preparation of year-end audit schedules and respond to audit inquiries.
- Maintain detailed and accurate electronic and paper payable files.
- Other related duties as assigned or requested
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Post-secondary education in Accounting or Finance
- Minimum 2+ years of accounting experience including payroll and accounts payable, ideally in a not-for-profit environment
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office, with advanced Excel skills
- Experience with Microsoft Great Plains preferred
- Self-sufficient problem-solver with good analytical skills
- Team player with solid communication skills across all levels of the organization
- Well-organized with strong attention to detail and accuracy
Interested applicants are invited to send a cover letter and resume along with salary expectations to [email protected] by 19 June 2018. We appreciate all candidates’ applications but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CIGI is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment. Our goal is to attract and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We are committed to providing accommodation to applicants throughout the recruitment and hiring process.