The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) is a global think tank based in Waterloo, Ontario. Founded in 2001, CIGI conducts policy research on international governance issues, including the global economy, global security and politics, and international law. A dynamic and innovative organization of leading researchers, policy practitioners and other professionals, CIGI has a unique opening for a Communications Advisor.
The Communications Advisor is a full-time position, responsible for strategic communications, media and public relations, as well as brand marketing at a regional, national and international level. Reporting to the Communications Manager, the Advisor works closely with colleagues in the Public Affairs department, research program staff, and CIGI’s global network of fellows and partner organizations to ensure outreach efforts are maximized across all channels. The position also contributes online content in collaboration with a social media team and supports stakeholder engagement.
The ideal candidate is a strategic thinker and proactive communicator with excellent organizational skills who thrives under pressure. A strong self-starter and team player with energy and creativity will flourish in this position. Candidates with communications experience in international economics, will be preferred.
- Develop and implement strategic communications plans that build positive awareness of CIGI’s research, experts, publications, events and other initiatives – particularly as it relates to media relations, public relations and marketing channels
- Guide the message development for key speaking opportunities, events and announcements
- Develop and maintain contacts with print, broadcast and online media
- Identify stories with news value; write, pitch and distribute news releases and media advisories
- Respond to media requests for expert commentary and coordinate logistics
- Monitor, analyze and evaluate media coverage, and prepare regular internal reports as required
- Regularly meet with designated CIGI Program managers to review upcoming initiatives and proactively identify external public relations opportunities
- Develop and distribute marketing products including the CIGI Worldwide e-newsletter, annual report, brochures, pamphlets and display materials
- Book advertising space and co-ordinate placement; proofread and edit ad copy
- Ensure articulation of CIGI’s brand is consistently communicated across the organization in line with the mission, vision and brand strategy
- Plan and implement internal communications activities including internal newsletter and staff messages from senior executives
- Commission photography and videography
- Work collaboratively with department staff to leverage and support social media, online and multimedia content development and outreach
- Other duties as assigned by the Communications Manager
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES REQUIRED:
- Excellent oral and written communication skills, knowledge of Canadian Press style, high proficiency in grammar, spelling, sentence structure and rules of composition
- Strong familiarity with national and international news media and newsroom operations
- Hands-on experience developing and implementing media and public relations strategies
- Strong strategic communications planning and campaign delivery experience
- Good interpersonal skills, both for internal relations and for exceptional customer service, including tact, diplomacy and good judgment
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English, with a second language preferred
- Proficient use of MS Word and MS Excel
- Working knowledge of web and social media applications (e.g., WordPress, Drupal, Hootsuite, etc.) for posting content online is an asset
- Strong proofreading and creative skills, including for reviewing creative concepts and artwork for print and online content
- Discretion and tact in dealing with sensitive information
- Detail-oriented and organized. Strong ability to multitask, work independently and under pressure, set priorities and meet deadlines
- Highly motivated and results oriented with a passion for CIGI’s mandate
MINIMUM JOB REQUIREMENTS:
- University degree or college diploma, preferably in communications, public relations or journalism, or equivalent experience
- Minimum 5 years of professional experience in media relations or communications
- Candidate must be based full-time in Waterloo, Ontario and have the ability to travel and work nights or weekends as required by CIGI activities
Interested applicants are invited to send a cover letter and resume along with salary expectations to [email protected] by 24 November 2017. We appreciate all candidates’ applications but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CIGI is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment. Our goal is to attract and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We are committed to providing accommodation to applicants throughout the recruitment and hiring process.