The Centre for International Governance Innovation (CIGI) is an independent, non-partisan think tank whose peer-reviewed research and trusted analysis influence policy makers to innovate. Our global network of multidisciplinary researchers and strategic partnerships provide policy solutions for the digital era with one goal: to improve people’s lives everywhere.
CIGI has an opening for a Law Student / Junior Counsel. This is 15-month contract position to cover a parental leave. Reporting to the Managing Director and General Counsel, the position is responsible for a wide range of legal support for CIGI.
- Offer counsel on a variety of legal issues, including but not limited to employment law, corporate law, charity law and intellectual property law.
- Draft, review, negotiate and execute a variety of contracts on behalf of the organization, which may include partnership agreements, professional service agreements, licensing agreements, lease agreements, and other contracts, as necessary.
- Prepare and file trademark applications to register CIGI’s intellectual property.
- Research and anticipate unique legal issues that could impact the organization, including compliance with applicable provincial and federal legislation.
- Assist Managing Director & General Counsel with various corporate compliance matters, including drafting memoranda and other documents for the Operating Board of Directors, maintaining communication with the Board on corporate compliance matters, filing information with Corporations Canada as required, and maintaining an up-to-date corporate minutes book.
- Maintain up-to-date contract management system and advise on status of contracts.
- Work alongside research department and assist with project planning and communication as required.
- Lead annual risk assessment, including by coordinating with members of Senior Management for feedback, and drafting risk assessment report.
- Other duties as required.
- Lawyer licensed in the Province of Ontario (or expected to participate in June 2021 Call to the Bar).
- Must have completed articles with a national full-service law firm or equivalent.
- Strong negotiating skills.
- Ability to establish and maintain strong, positive relationships across the organization.
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision.
Although CIGI staff are currently working remotely due to COVID-19, this position is based in Waterloo, Ontario.
Interested applicants are invited to send a cover letter and resumé along with salary expectations to [email protected] by May 12th, 2021. We appreciate all candidates’ applications but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
CIGI is committed to providing an inclusive, equitable and accessible environment. Our goal is to attract and retain highly talented employees from diverse backgrounds, including Aboriginal peoples, persons with disabilities and members of visible minorities. We are committed to providing accommodation to applicants throughout the recruitment and hiring process.