Paul Jenkins, Background
CIGI Distinguished Fellow Paul Jenkins’ current research focuses on international policy coordination and financial stability. In 2011, he co-authored the special report, Preventing Crises and Promoting Economic Growth, with Paola Subacchi, Chatham House’s director of international economics research.
Paul received his M.Sc. in economics from the London School of Economics and Political Science in England and his B.A. in economics from the University of Western Ontario in London, Canada. From 2003 to 2010, Paul served as senior deputy governor of the Bank of Canada. He was the bank’s chief operating officer and a member of its board of directors. His duties included overseeing strategic planning, the conduct of monetary policy as a member of the bank’s governing council and participating in fulfilling the bank’s responsibilities for promoting financial stability.
In addition to his position at CIGI, Paul is a member of the board of governors of the University of Western Ontario; senior distinguished fellow in the Faculty of Public Affairs, Carleton University; and a senior fellow, C. D. Howe Institute.
Notable Media & Presentations
- 1. “BoC’s former No. 2 sets out a plan for the G20.” Work cited in a story in The Globe and Mail, April 8, 2011.
- 2. “Retired central bankers swap suits for bicycle helmet.” Cited in a Bloomberg story on university initiative to expand its “intellectual capital,” February 28, 2011.
- 3. “Make or break year for the G20.” Quoted in a story in The Globe and Mail on the French presidency of the G20, February 13, 2011.
- 4. “Central bank’s decision a product of intensive research and collaboration.” Cited in a story in The Globe and Mail, May 30, 2010.
- “Bank of Canada: ‘Get ready for a global economy.’” Cited in a syndicated story by The Canadian Press, March 30, 2010.
- Essid, Badye, and Paul Jenkins (2011). Understanding Global Interdependencies: The Contribution of Economic Models. CIGI Commentary, April 15.
- Jenkins, Paul, and Paola Subacchi (2011). Preventing Crises and Promoting Economic Growth: A Framework for International Policy Cooperation. Chatham House and CIGI Special Report, April 6.
- Cairn, Barry, Colin Bradford, Deanne Leifso, Gordon Smith, and Paul Jenkins (2011). Challenges and Opportunities for the French Presidency: The G20 — 2011 and Beyond. CIGI Conference Report, March 8.