This project is developing a framework for an Energy Partnership for the Americas which goes beyond bilateral agreements and adopts a regional approach towards sustainable growth and clean energy. The objective of this project is to provide a blueprint for this new partnership. This blueprint will explore, and ultimately define, pathways capable of delivering solutions to many issues, including (but not exclusively):
- the appropriate energy mix for the different countries in the hemisphere;
- the infrastructure and technology necessary to boost output and delivery;
- the particulars of the public-private alliances and interactions needed to fulfill the integration objectives;
- challenges of addressing the environmental agenda while delivering economic development alongside greater energy production; and
- the role of domestic agencies and international institutions in the governance of the many aspects of a formalized partnership.
This initiative is a collaboration between scholars and receives support from the Center for International Governance and Innovation (Canada), the Council on Foreign Relations ( U.S.), Centro Brasileiro de Relações Internacionais (Brazil), and University of West Indies (Trinidad and Tobago)