CIGI's Aaron Shull and Myra Tawfik participated in the "IP, Trademark & Copyright Workshop," presented by CIGI, the City of Waterloo, Start Up Canada and Waterloo Region Small Business Centre.
The event is a legal workshop to provide local start-up businesses and entrepreneurs with free legal services. Topics to be covered include:
- Understand the basic of IP audits, basic principles of IP valuation, due diligence practices
- Understand the relationship between invention and patentability
- Distinguish patent law from other forms of intellectual property rights
- Distinguish trademark law from other forms of intellectual property rights
- Identify and understand the key features of copyright protection and enforcement in Canada
- Understand the registration process for trademarks. Identify and understand the key features of trademark protection and enforcement in Canada.
- Understand Canadian copyright law in light of the international copyright system as well as in relation to comparable jurisdictions such as the US
A practising lawyer, Aaron Shull is CIGI’s managing director and general counsel. In addition to advising on a range of domestic legal and corporate matters, he has substantive expertise in international law, global security and internet governance.