Hongying Wang (王红缨）is a CIGI Senior Fellow. She is also associate professor of political science at the University of Waterloo, specializing in international political economy and East Asian politics. At CIGI, Hongying is focusing on the limits of the exchange rate mechanism in addressing China’s role in global imbalances and China’s role in several areas of global economic governance.
She is the author of Weak States, Strong Networks: The Institutional Dynamics of Foreign Direct Investment in China (Oxford University Press, 2001) and many academic journal articles and book chapters on global governance, Chinese politics, political economy, and foreign relations.
Hongying is an active contributor to various public education programs. She has been a fellow of the “public intellectual program” of the National Committee on US-China Relations. She has appeared on various TV and radio programs in the United States, including the News Hour, Cable-Satellite Public Affairs Network (C-SPAN), and National Public Radio (NPR). She previously taught at Syracuse University, and directed the East Asia Program at its Maxwell School of Citizenship and Public Affairs.
- Wang, Hongying and Lombardi, Domenico, eds. (2015), "Enter the Dragon: China in the International Financial System," Center for International Governance Innovation.
- Wang, Hongying (2015). “The Missing Link in Sino-Latin American Relations.” In Journal of Contemporary China.
- Wang, Hongying and Erik French (2014).“China's Participation in Global Economic Governance.” In Asian Economic Policy Review 9, no. 2.
- Pang, Zhongying and Hongying Wang (2013). “Debating International Institutions and Global Governance: The Missing Chinese IPE Contribution.” In Review of International Political Economy.
- Wang, Hongying and Erik French (2013). "Middle Range Powers in Global Governance." In Third World Quarterly 34, no. 6 (July 2013): 985-999.
- Wang, Hongying and Erik French (2013). “China’s Participation in Global Governance in Comparative Perspective.” In Asian Policy, no. 15 (January 2013): 89-114.
Internationalization of the Renminbi, , Monday, 28 April 2014
In the News
- How to keep the Internet free and open, Michael Chertoff & James Cartwright, Politico, June 7, 2016
- China in the International Financial System with Hongying Wang, Jeremy Lee Wallace, Chinalab, November 24, 2015
- How will China run the G20?, Janne Suokas, gbtimes, November 17, 2015